Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Storm's a Brewin'

Rain, rain, and more rain is coming to California and I can't wait!  Nothing says get some hot soup and warm slippers like the rain.  The rain will start tonight with a soft pitter-patter on the rooftop while slowly advancing into a roaring down-pour.  My cozy bed will make it all so pleasantly bearable as I quietly drift deeply back to sleep. I feel this way now- but loving the rain is a very new passion of mine. 

As a child, rainy days felt like prison.  Take for instance rainy day reassess at school. What a bore!  Board-games galore, but no running, jumping, or climbing, blah!  It had to be a conspiracy between parents and teachers NOT to let anyone outside to play and have fun in the rain.  Yep, that sounds about right...

Anyway, that child grew-up and discovered "Jazz music"!  I'm talkin' smooth Jazz with a piano, saxophone, a stand-up bass and brushes on the drums sounding just like rain.  This jazzy sound of rain brings a new life to me.   Jazz musicians like Dave Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, and Bill Evans bring such an exiting inspiration to my paintbrush as well. Their music has started leading me into paintings like "Rainy Night" (shown below). Finishing a painting like this inspires me to do another and  Oh yes- more Jazz/rain inspired paintings are yet to come. I hope you enjoy them.
                 

"Rainy Night" 
16" x 20" acrylic on canvas

Thanks for reading,
-Jay





1 comment:

  1. The storm wasn't as big as I had hope't for, but it came and dropped some much needed water.

    ReplyDelete